Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Perseverance & Pure Joy

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4

I don't know about you - but when I'm going through a trial joy is not my knee-jerk reaction. It is something that has to grow on me. I don't shout when I realize that money is going to be tight. I don't start praising God when my car breaks down. And I definitely don't start worshipping when I am working with difficult personalities. But the Word says to consider it joy when you face trials. My faith must be tested so that I can develop perseverance. To persevere is to persist in spite of counterinfluences, oppostition, and discouragement. Now, that doesn't exactly spur joy in many hearts. However - if you read on the Word also states...

"Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." James 1:12

Wow! Now THAT! That is worthy of joy! I want to be one of those Christians that lives these verses! You've seen them. The strong saints that seem like nothing shakes them. A storm blows in to their life - and it just makes them dig their heels in more. They see the big picture. They know that if they can get through the trials, God has promised them eternal life!

Remember - God is good - no matter what the situation is. We may not see His hand - but He is working nonetheless. If we will just hold on - the reward is a crown of life!

Sondra

No comments: