Tuesday, March 10, 2009

WBLGO - Wk 1

This week was the first week of our Work Biggest Loser Girls Only competition. Annnnddddd.... I LOST SIX POUNDS! Now, I am FULLY aware that it was a lot of water weight - and that I ate a TON of junk at the hospital and at the funeral and when you stop eating all that it will drop of quick at first. HOWEVER. I am still excited about it!

Life is starting to slow down, and I am so very thankful. Dad is home and recovering. He's still weak - but doing so much better. We're still working through Mimi's death - but I know that will be something we will work through for the rest of our lives. It's never easy when you lose a loved one. My pastor one time spoke of ambush grief. Those moments when you aren't even thinking of your deceased loved one and then BAM! You smell something, you see something, you hear something - and the grief side swipes you. My family calls it Christmas Aisle moments because that's when it first happened for us. Walking down the Christmas aisle in Wal-Mart. My grandmother passed away 10 years ago and I still have Christmas Aisle moments.

I have a confession. My family and I have this horrible tendency to laugh in stressful situations. Case in point: Pastor is at the hospital praying for my father. He makes the statement that we are praying a hedge of protection around him. I laugh. Why did I laugh? Because all I can think about is the video below.



SEE?!?!?! It's a HORRIBLE THING!! HAHAHAHAHAHA! But you have to admit... it's pretty funny! :)

2 comments:

Carol Kennon said...

Why is it that things we have seen come to our mind during some of the most serious moments of life?

I'll be honest and admit that last Sunday night I prayed this exact phrase while I was praying about someone. I've seen this video before and I actually laughed at myself during the prayer because this came to mind. I even looked up to make sure no one had heard me laughing. I resumed my prayer and prayed for God to build a fence all around them...which cracked me up again. What's a fence going to do that the hedge couldn't? I mean, a fence could be torn down or even climed over. I finally just ended with a prayer for God to keep them safe.

My family laughs during stressful moments too. It's how we deal with things without going crazy.

Dunn But Not Finished said...

I'll probably never pray a hedge of protection again - rather a stone wall of protection! Loved this one. Stress does weird stuff to us, but wouldn't you rather be laughing than throwing things or screaming? Love you guys! Shirley