Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Green with Green Grass Envy

Isn’t it funny how we are never satisfied? When we are young, we want to be older. When we are single, we want to be married. When we are in school, we want to have a job. The grass always looks just a little bit greener on the other side. If I could just… reach… I’d be SO much happier! Yet, when we get there? Behold! Problems! Who would have GUESSED?

Paul states, “for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:11-13)

I love the line “I have learned the secret to being content in ANY and EVERY situation.” Webster’s defines contented as “feeling or showing satisfaction with one’s possessions, status, or situation.” Imagine that. Being satisfied with what we have (not what our neighbor has), with where we are (not where we think we should be)...

Listening to the iPod at work and the song “The Other Side of the Fence” by Jonny Lang played. I guess you could say that it got me to thinking. :)

“The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence
But the dog over there might be meaner on the other side of the fence
The car in the driveway looks longer on the other side of the street,
Does anything ever go wrong there on the other side of the fence?

Stay in your own yard
Play in your own yard
Be happy in your own yard
Cause everything that glitters really ain't gold

The future always looks brighter on the other side of the tracks
Everybody wants to go over but they don't want to come back
They live like Kings and Queens on their side of the town
They're gonna have to make room for me there on their side of the town

Jealousy's a cold thing, it's ice water in your veins
All it brings is bitterness and pain
Everything that glitters really ain't gold

Instead of worrying about what you are not, gotta make the most with what you got
Instead of keeping up with Mr. Jones, better look out for your own

Stay in your own yard
Play in your own yard
Be happy in your own yard
Cause everything that glitters really aint gold

No comments: